Friday, August 12, 2022

Big Girl Beds

I've been dreading transitioning these monkeys to their big girl beds for a long time now.  I remember with each of the other kids thinking that they were so little and that there was no way they'd stay in their beds but then we'd try it and they'd surprise me with how well they did.  Still two is different than one and I'm not a newbie to this so I kept them in their cribs as long as I possibly could.  They did a little bit of climbing early on but surprisingly, while they were crazy in their beds they didn't ever try to climb out until this fateful day in February.

We are especially unhappy about the timing of this because we are heading to Hawaii in April and Grammy does not need the added shenanigans of twins who no longer stay in their beds. :(  However, it is obviously no longer felt safe to keep them in their cribs so we removed the fronts of their cribs and decided we'd see how they did.

Night #1 Daddy put them to bed and surprisingly they stayed.  So I thought well maybe I was wrong.  Maybe their going to make this easier than I expected.



But then came nap time on day #2 and well that went about as well as I would have expected.
It started with the normal shenanigans...

Moved to showing off who was smarter...

And from there the shenanigans continued to escalate

Until Mommy said, "We're done!!!"
Crib tents are on their way!!!

Luckily for us the crib tens worked great!!!  They were happy to be sleep in them zipped up for awhile and then after a couple of weeks they started resisting that but still stayed in them until I came and got them up each day.  Over time they did slowly push the limits more and more climbing in and out, but it bought us an extra 6 months of sanity and everyone was safe.  So money well spent I'd say.





By July the girls were twisting up the zip up portion of the tents and hanging from it and generally just being INSANE until finally Maddie broke her tent.  I came in that day to her all frantic telling me she broke her tent and Daddy needed to buy her a new one.  :(

So that afternoon we headed over to Grammy's house to pick up the toddler beds that Uncle Robert bought for Hazel and Evie while we were in the NICU with these two and that night we took down the cribs and set up their big girl beds.  No time for being sentimental here although normally I think this would have been a very sad day for me.  We've had cribs in our home for 13 years and while I'm ready I'm also not.  I can't believe just like that they're gone but luckily for Brandon twins don't leave to much time to process or prepare for such things.  So here they are our BIG GIRLS!

Aubrey

Maddie

They did pretty good.  I think the tents confined them just enough that they were able to get use to the freedom of climbing in and out on their own.  They're still wild at nap time and don't sleep as much as they use to but they did way better than the first time thankfully!  And it has helped with the crazy amount of stuff they want to put in their cribs.  So one problem solved. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Troyer Addition: Week 57-58

March 30, 2024 Week 57-58 So much trim to build and sand and paint.  Some days we can't see the light at the end of the tunnel but we wi...